Thursday, November 5, 2009

Meeting the Bookworms: Fa-book-ulous


Hi there! I'm excited about this challenge and I hope you will come back to see how we are doing.
Allow me to introduce myself before the challenge kicks off. In order to maintain anonymity you can call me Fabookulous. Clever, huh? I developed an early love for reading, making my way through the Fear Street series by R.L. Stine in my early teenage years. (Remember those??) Then high school came along and threw a monkey wrench in my program. Suddenly I found myself reading mandatory assignments. What fun was there in that? When your time is occupied with required reading for school, the reading for pleasure falls by the wayside. Well, that's how it happened for me.
During college my magazine subscriptions provided a self-indulgent break from the latest research paper. (What can I say, I find humor in the latest celebrity spat or wedding. And during Britney's tumultuous years it was always intriguing to see the latest cover story on her antics...)
One fateful day, People magazine ran a blurb on PaperBackSwap.com. A free website, you swap books with other members and the only cost to you is postage when you send one. The site had previously been mentioned on Oprah and I thought, well then there's GOT to be tons of PEOPLE on there which means there are tons of BOOKS. And it was true. Now was a great time to get rid of books taking up space around the house and exchange them for credits for new books. And that's how I found my inner bookworm again. Recycle, Reuse, Re-read. Over and over again. And the wonderful thing is, I will never run out of choices! It's like a kid in a candy store, really. (Of course, not all the books I read come from PBS; the library really has stayed on top of new novels. I couldn't tell you the last time I spent my hard earned money on a book. It's just not necessary.)
Of course this was all way too much fun to be having alone so I told my partner bookworm, LibraryLove, about it and two dedicated, excited and passionate readers were born again. Spending this summer poolside, immersed in our latest swapped novels, LibraryLove suggested a New Year's Resolution that would let us read to our hearts content. (And certainly be a resolution we'd keep!) And, voila, our challenge was created.
I'm excited about this venture, though it IS a challenge. Obviously we hope to average a book a week, so it will be interesting to see how it goes. But I am proud to be called a bookworm! And we love meeting other bookworms too, so please, leave comments and suggestions...we have 365 days of reading ahead of us!!! It's a pleasure to meet you :)

No comments:

Post a Comment